Finger food is always a great hit during parties or informal gathering. As a guest, finger food is convenient to snack on. As a host, you cut down the need for washing utensils. Be it a guest or a host, party or gathering is about spending time getting together and have fun.
I read about a designer creating mini utensils in which you can fit your finger into it at design boom. It’s a good idea but not in the case of eating finger food. Finger food is meant to be eaten with your fingers. It is indeed a sensual experience eating with fingers. You feel the texture and temperature of the food. Your fingers are the most flexible utensil. So use them.
I like cheeses. Cheese likes fruits. Greece has a popular snacks called bourekakia, a type of cheese-filled pastry, usually with spinach and feta cheese filling. Feta cheese is a soft, crumbly cheese, originally made in Greece. Instead of spinach, I added some chopped dried fruits and nuts. I don’t have phyllo pastry at hand, so I substitute with Chinese spring roll wrappers. Are these bourekakia? Are these spring rolls? I called them feta apricot scrolls.
Feta apricot scrolls
180g feta cheese, finely crumbled
30g plain yogurt
20g dried apricots, chopped
15g dried cranberry, chopped
15g apricot kernels, chopped
20-25 spring rolls wrappers (egg roll skin), five inches square each
extra egg for sealing
- Mix everything together in a bowl until well combined.
- Put around two teaspoonful of the mixture in the corner of spring rolls skin.
- Tuck in the sides, roll it up like a cigarette and finally seal with a little bit of egg.
- Continue to make more rolls till you have used up all the filling. Keep the spring rolls wrappers covered with a slightly damp cloth to prevent it dries out.
- Bake the spring rolls in a 180°C oven for around 20 minutes till light golden in colour. Serve warm.
*The spring rolls wrappers are not the translucent rice paper used for Vietnamese spring rolls. If you can’t find it, phyllo pastry will be fine.
*You can make the spring rolls ahead of time and freeze them. Just thaw in the fridge before baking them.
* If you are in a rush, deep fry the spring rolls till golden brown. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.